On Pixel 3 and up, these additional steps are required to use Live Transcribe:
- Open your device’s Settings app.
- Tap “Accessibility”, then tap “Live Transcribe”.
- Tap “Use service”, then accept the permissions.
- An Accessibility button should now appear at the bottom right corner of your screen, next to the Home button. Tap the Accessibility button or use gestures.
- Supports transcription in over 70 languages and dialects.
- Supports quick-switching between 2 languages.
- Displays non-speech sound so that you know if someone is knocking on your door or a dog is barking.
- Reply without speaking by typing your responses within the app.
Referring back to transcription:
- You can save a transcript up to 3 days which stays secure on your device. (By default, transcriptions are not saved.)
- Touch and hold the transcript to copy & paste.
For more accurate transcription:
- Use external microphones found in wired headsets, Bluetooth headsets, and USB mics for better audio reception.
- Check the loudness and noise indicator to find out if your environment is suitable for transcription.
Live Transcribe was made in collaboration with Gallaudet University, the premier Deaf and hard of hearing university in the US.
Microphone: Live Transcribe needs microphone access to transcribe the speech around you. The audio is not stored after the transcript is processed.